Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Kitchen Table Makeover

When I bought my house 6 years ago, my dad bought me a kitchen table.  He got a crazy deal on it. (I think he got it for around $65.)  It's been a great table, however now that I am home everyday, I have noticed how small my house is.  In order to create more kitchen space, I started the hunt for a pedestal table.  Good grief!  Do you know how expensive those things can be?  Even the ones on Craigslist are at least $200!  However, I happened to spy one for $75.  I emailed the lady right away, but a few hours later I found one at a consignment store that was 10 minutes from my house.  (instead of 45)  They were asking $110, but when I told them there was one on CL for $75, they matched the price!!!!  (My mom ended up getting the one that was on CL.)

Here is the beauty in its original state.



Not what I was looking for, so I started sanding!!!!


2 chairs came with the table, and I found 4 more at a yard sale for $20!!!!  (That's an incredible deal.  Just start pricing chairs...you'll see!)  So my awesome mother-in-law got started priming and painting the chairs.


Look how pretty the wood was once I sanded it!!!!!  I painted everything but the top, and I lightly sanded it to give it a distressed look.




Then I stained the top.  I would have chosen a lighter color, but my sister-in-law already had a can of this, so I jumped on it.  Free stain?  Yes please!  I topped it off with a sealant.  We LOVE it.  We have a TON more space in our kitchen. :)  (The finished product is actually a little lighter.  I ended up sanding it down a little more bc it was just too dark for me.)


Best part about this makeover?  

Dad bought table for $65.
I used table for 6 years.
I sold table on Craigslist in 2 days for $165.
I bought new table $75 + 4 chairs $20 = $95 on new table.

$165 (what I sold old table for) - $95 (what I spent on 'new' table) = $70.  Yeap!  I MADE money off of getting a new table. :) 


2 comments: