Saturday, July 9, 2011

DIY Hanging Bookshelves



I LOVE children's books.  Seriously...I think I have 7 large tubs FULL of them in my garage.  Luckily Mia loves books too!  I've been trying to decide how to add some of them in her playroom without it seeming too overwhelming, so I chose a tub of some of my favorites and started looking for creative ways to display them.

While I LOVE my sister's bookshelves that she made out of gutters (yes...gutters), my playroom is about 1/4 the size of hers, so I had to go with something different.  (Check out her gutter bookshelves below...)




I saw some DIY bookshelves on a blog about a month ago.  I can't remember which blog, but it may have been Centsational Girl.  I tried to remember what they looked like, headed to Home Depot, and bought my supplies!  

Here's what I came up with:

I bought a 7ft piece of trim (because it was so cheap).  I ended up needing a bit more trim though bc I decided to put a back on the shelves.  (You can get them to cut it for you at Home Depot.  I was in a hurry though, so I just took it home with me.)

I bought 3 dowels and 6 umh...I don't know what you call the ends, but they are already pre-cut to go under a piece of wood to make a shelf.  I just flipped them upside down.  (You can buy ones that are more decorative too.  It's totally up to you!)

And I bought hooks to screw on to the back as well as a box of finishing nails.  (I think my FIL ended up using screws on the bottom and the nails on the side.)  





I took the wood to my Father-in-law to cut, but to my surprise, he offered to put them together!  WOO HOO!!!!  The trim was already primed, so it didn't take long at all to slap some paint on them.  Check them out!  I LOVE THESE SHELVES!!!  (We made three, but I only ended up needing two.  I think I'm going to put the third one in Mia's room at a level that she can reach.)




Don't you LOVE them?  And they were 1/3 of the price of the ones on SALE atPottery Barn Kids.


THANKS, Dan!!!!  I LOVE my new shelves! :)

So go ahead and try it!  You can make the gutter bookshelves or these.  Send me pics if you do!  I love to see how people put their own spin on things.

P.S...Have I shown you the new playroom yet?  It used to be Caleb's office, but I have been turning it into Mia's playroom for the past month.  Maybe that will be a post next week! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment