Sunday, October 16, 2011

It's in the near future!...

Potty training.  An exciting thought and one that I also dread.  I think about it often, asking myself questions such as:

1. Will I start her too soon?  I've heard if they're not "ready" potty training can be a pain.
2. Should I wait until after Christmas?  Ellie Grace will be older then, PLUS we will have already traveled to Indiana for Thanksgiving.  I can't imagine the pain of stopping every 15 minutes, scurrying in to those ever so clean gas station bathrooms (or any public restroom) all to hear that she has just had an accident.
3. Should I use a potty her size or the insert that goes on the big potty?
4. Will this increase the number of times I am up in the middle of the night?
5. Will I have to do MORE laundry? (sheets, underwear, clothes)


I bought a Potty Time with Elmo book and a potty at a yard sale Saturday.  Mia reads that book over and over and over.  (I'll post the video of her reading it later.)  Needless to say, we've talked about the fact that she will use the potty in the near future.


So today I go in to get her up from her nap and guess what?  Her diaper was dry! (I've heard that once they start waking up with a dry diaper they are getting close to being "ready".)  So I thought I'd just give it a try...let her sit on the potty.  After all, she's been telling us for months every time she goes in her diaper, AND thanks to Elmo, she's an expert on the subject now.  haha!  So how did it go?

This sweet little girl was not successful.  She sure did have a good time though!  She was so proud that she got to sit there, but eventually Ellie Grace needed to eat which meant potty time had to come an end. We may have not gone pee pee in the potty today, but hey...it's in the near future.

P.S.  I still can't believe how much my life has changed!  I am now a mom of two, and I am now blogging about my child going potty.  WHAT?!!!!!


Any advice on making this experience easy/ enjoyable?  Share what's worked/ hasn't worked for your kids!

1 comment:

  1. 1. If I were you I'd wait til holidays are behind you. I mean you can still let her sit on potty and stuff but I'd hold off on being a hard charger til the busiest time of year is over. 2. Try to relax. She will get it. I always get so frustrated when they don't move at my pace. Silly mommy. 3. I wish I hadn't spent so much money on pull ups, except for nighttime use. If it feels like a diaper and smells like a diaper, isn't it a diaper =) Goodness, it's like I have an opinion on the matter. Hee hee.

    ReplyDelete